(1) Development of Earth System Model for Global Warming Projection
(2) Development of Cloud-Resolving Regional Climate Model
- Ashrit, R., A. Kitoh and S. Yukimoto, 2005: Transient response of ENSO-monsoon teleconnection in MRI-CGCM2.2 climate change simulations. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 83, 273-291.
- Bates, B.C., Z.W. Kundzewicz, S. Wu and J.P. Palutikof (Eds.), 2008 : Climate Change and Water. Technical Paper of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, IPCC Secretariat, Geneva, 210 pp.
- Cagnazzo, C., Manzini, E., Calvo, N., Douglass, A., Akiyoshi, H., Bekki, S., Chipperfield, M., Dameris, M., Deushi, M., Fischer, A. M., Garny, H., Gettelman, A., Giorgetta, M. A., Plummer, D., Rozanov, E., Shepherd, T. G., Shibata, K., Stenke, A., Struthers, H., and Tian, W.:2009 Northern winter stratospheric temperature and ozone responses to ENSO inferred from an ensemble of Chemistry Climate Models, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 9, 8935-8948,
- Eyring, V., D. W. Waugh, G. E. Bodeker, E. Cordero, H. Akiyoshi, J. Austin, S. R. Beagley, B. A. Boville, P. Braesicke, C. Bruhl, N. Butchart, M. P. Chipperfield, M. Dameris, R. Deckert, M. Deushi, S. M. Frith, R. R. Garcia, A. Gettelman, M. A. Giorgetta, D. E. Kinnison, E. Mancini, E. Manzini, D. R. Marsh, S. Matthes, T. Nagashima, P. A. Newman, J. E. Nielsen, S. Pawson, G. Pitari, D. A. Plummer, E. Rozanov, M. Schraner, J. F. Scinocca, K. Semeniuk, T. G. Shepherd, K. Shibata, B. Steil, R. S. Stolarski, W. Tian, and M. Yoshiki., 2007: Multimodel projections of stratospheric ozone in the 21st century, J. Geophys. Res., 112, D16205, doi:10.1029/2007JD008432.
- Kitoh, A., M. Hosaka, Y. Adachi and K. Kamiguchi, 2005: Future projections of precipitation characteristics in East Asia simulated by the MRI CGCM2. Adv.Atmos. Sci., 22, 467-478.
- Kitoh, A. and T. Uchiyama, 2006: Changes in onset and withdrawal of the East Asian summer rainy season by multi-model global warming experiments. J.Meteor. Soc. Japan, 84, 247-258.
- Kitoh, A., 2008: Climate change. In: Asia-Pacific Coasts and Their Management: States of Environment. [Mimura, N. (ed.)], Springer, The Netherlands, 18-25.
- Krishnan, R., V. Kumar, M. Sugi, and J. Yoshimura, 2008: Internal-feedbacks from monsoon- midlatitude interactions during droughts in the Indian summer monsoon. Accepted to J. Atmos. Sci.
- Kusunoki, S., T. Nakaegawa, O. Arakawa, and I. Yagai, 2009: Simulations of land-surface air temperature and land precipitation in the twentieth century by the MJ98 AGCM. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 87, 473-495.
- Kuroda, Y., M. Deushi, and K. Shibata., 2007: Role of solar activity in the troposphere-stratosphere coupling in the southern hemisphere winter, Geophys. Res. Lett., L21704, doi:10.1029/2007GL030983.
- Meehl, G.A., T.F. Stocker, W.D. Collins, P. Friedlingstein, A.T. Gaye, J.M. Gregory, A. Kitoh, R. Knutti, J.M. Murphy, A. Noda, S.C.B. Raper, I.G. Watterson, A.J. Weaver and Z.-C. Zhao, 2007: Global Climate Projections. In: Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Solomon S., D. Qin, M. Manning, Z. Chen, M. Marquis, K.B. Averyt, M. Tignor and H.L. Miller (eds.)], Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, 747-845.
- Obata, A., 2007: Climate-carbon cycle model response to freshwater discharge into the North Atlantic. J. Climate, 20, 5962-5976.
- Scaife, A.A., F. Kucharski, C. K. Folland, J. Kinter, S. Bronnimann, D. Fereday, A. M. Fischer, S. Grainger, E. K. Jin, I. S. Kang, J. R. Knight, S. Kusunoki, N. C. Lau, M. J. Nath, T. Nakaegawa, P. Pegion, S. Schubert, P. Sporyshev, J. Syktus, J. H. Yoon, N. Zeng and T. Zhou, 2008:The CLIVAR C20C project: selected twentieth century climate events. Clim. Dyn., DOI 10.1007/s00382-008-0451-1
- Shoji Kusunoki, Ryo Mizuta, 2008: Future Changes in the Baiu Rain Band Projected by a 20-km Mesh Global Atmospheric Model: Sea Surface Temperature Dependence. SOLA, 4, 85-88
- Yamaguchi, K., A. Noda, and A. Kitoh, 2005: The changes in permafrost induced by greenhouse warming: A numerical study applying multiple-layer ground model. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 83, 799-815.
- Yamaguchi, K., and A. Noda, 2006: Global Warming Patterns over the North Pacific: ENSO versus AO. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 84, 221-241.
- Yoshimura, H. and S. Yukimoto, 2008: Development of a Simple Coupler (Scup) for Earth System Modeling. Papers in Meteorology and Geophysics, 59, 19-29.
- Yoshizaki, M., C. Muroi, S. Kanada, Y. Wakazuki, K. Yasunaga, A. Hashimoto, T. Kato, K. Kurihara, A. Noda, and S. Kusunoki, 2005: Changes of Baiu(Mei-yu) frontal activity in the global warming climate simulated by a non-hydrostatic regional model. SOLA, 1, 25-28, doi: 10.2151/sola.2005- 008.
- Yukimoto, S., A. Noda, A. Kitoh, M. Hosaka, H. Yoshimura, T. Uchiyama, K. Shibata, O. Arakawa, and S. Kusunoki, 2006: Present-day climate and climate sensitivity in the Meteorological Research Institute Coupled GCM version 2. 3(MRI-CGCM2. 3). J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 84, 333-363.
- Yukimoto, S., A. Noda, T. Uchiyama, S. Kusunoki and A. Kitoh, 2006 : Climate changes of the twentieth through twenty-first centuries simulated by the MRI-CGCM2.3. Pap. Meteor. Geophys., 56, 9-24
- Yukimoto,S., Kodera,K., 2007: Annular Modes forced from the Stratosphere and Interactions with the Oceans. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, Spetial Edition"Arctic Oscillation", vol.85, 943-952, 2007
- Kyung-Sook Yun, Sun-Hee Shin, Kyung-Ja Ha, Akio Kitoh and Shoji Kusunoki, 2008: East Asian Precipitation Change in the Global Warming Climate Simulated by a 20-km Mesh AGCM. Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 44, 3, 233-247
- Zhao, Z., A. Kitoh and D.-K. Lee, 2008 : Warming in East Asia as a consequence of increasing greenhouse gases. In: Changes in the Human-Monsoon System of East Asia in the Context of Global Change. (C. Fu, J.R. Freney and J.W.B. Stewart, Eds.), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., 105-114.
- Kurihara K., K. Ishihara, H. Sasaki, Y. Fukuyama, H. Saitou, I. Takayabu, K. Murazaki, S. Yukimoto and A. Noda, 2005: Projection of climatic change over Japan due to global warming by high-resolution regional climate model in MRI. SOLA, 1, 97-100, doi: 10.2151/SOLA.2005-026.
- Murazaki, K., H. Sasaki, H. Tsujino, I. Takayabu, Y. Sato, H. Ishizaki and K. Kurihara, 2005: Climatic change projection for the ocean around Japan using a high-resolution coupled atmosphere-ocean regional climate model. SOLA, 1, 101-104, doi: 102151/sola 2005-027.
- Sasaki, H., K. Kurihara, 2008: Relationship between Precipitation and Elevation in the Present Climate Reproduced by the Non-hydrostatic Regional Climate Model, SOLA, 4, 109-112, doi: 10.2151/sola.2008-028.
- Sasaki, H., K. Kurihara, I. Takayabu, 2005: Comparison of climate reproducebility between a super-high resolution atmosphere general circulation model and a Meteorological Research Institute regional climate model. SOLA, 1, 81-84, doi:10.2151/SOLA2005-022.
- Sasaki, H., K. Kurihara, I. Takayabu and T. Uchiyama, 2008: Preliminary experiments of reproducing the present climate using the non-hydrostatic regional climate model, SOLA, 4, 25-28, doi: 10.2151/sola.2008-007.
- Sasaki, H., K. Kurihara, I. Takayabu, K. Murazaki, Y. Sato and H. Tsujino, 2006: Preliminary results from the Coupled Atmosphere-Ocean Regional Climate Model at the Meteorological Rasearch Institute. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 84, 389-403.
- Sato Y., S. Yukimoto, H. Tsujino, H. Ishizaki and A. Noda, 2006: Response of North Pacific ocean circulation in a Kuroshio-resolving ocean model to an Arctic Oscillation (AO)-like change in Northern Hemisphere atmospheric circulation due to greenhouse-gas forcing. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 84, 295-309.
- Sato, T., F. Kimura and A. Kitoh, 2007: Projection of global warming onto regional precipitation over Mongolia using a regional climate model. Journal of Hydrology, 333, 144-154.
- Takayabu, I., H. Kato, K. Nishizawa, Y.N. Takayabu, Y. Sato, H. Sasaki, K. Kurihara and A. Kitoh, 2007: Future projections in precipitation over Asia simulated by two RCMs nested into MRI-CGCM2.2. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 85, 511-519.
*Papers using the RCM20
- Iizumi, T., M. Nishimori and M. Yokozawa, 2008: Combined equations for estimating global solar radiation: Projection of radiation field over Japan under global warming condition by statistical downscaling. J. Agric, Meteor, 64, 9-23.
- Yokozawa, M., S. Goto, Y. Hayashi and Seino, 2003: Mesh climate data for evaluation climate change impacts in Japan under gradually increasing atmospheric CO2 concentration. Jounal of Agricultural Meteorology, 59(2), 117-130.
(1) Development of Earth System Model for Global Warming Projection
(2) Development of Cloud-Resolving Regional Climate Model
- Ha, K.-J., K.-S. Yun, S.-S. Lee, S.-R. Jang, A. Kitoh and S. Kusunoki, 2007.:Changes in the dominant patterns of Changma and rainy season. Third China-Korea-Japan Joint Conference on Meteorology, November 13-16, 2007, Beijing, China.
- Kitoh, A, 2006: East Asian monsoons in the future projected by IPCC AR4 models. East Asia Climate (EAC) Workshop, March 31-April 1, 2006, Nantou, Taiwan.
- Kitoh, A, 2006: Monsoon simulations for the past, present and future by a coupled ocean-atmosphere GCM. Fourth International Symposium of IGCP-476, Septemebr 3-6, 2006, Pusan National University, Pusan, Korea.
- Kitoh, A., 2007: Asia-Pacific climate in the future. Korean Meteorological Society Symposium Global Warming and Its Socio-Economic Impacts, 21 March 2007, Seoul, Korea. [Invited]
- Kitoh, A., 2007: How robust is the ENSO-monsoon teleconnection? JMS011: Monsoon Systems, IUGG2007, July 2-13, 2007, Perugia, Italy. [Invited]
- Kitoh, A., 2007: Projection of the change in future weather extremes. 2nd Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction, 7-8 November 2007, New Delhi, India. [Invited]
- Kitoh,A., 2007: Recent climate modeling activity at MRI. Japan-Taiwan Joint Workshop for the EAMEX and MAHAASRI, 17-18 December 2007, Goura,Hakone, Japan.
- Kitoh,A. and collaborators, 2007: Next generation model development at MRI.?Third China-Korea-Japan Joint Conference on Meteorology, November 13-16,2007,Beijing,Chaina.13-16, 2007, Beijing, China.
- Kitoh, A., 2008: Simulation and projections of monsoon variability over South and East Asia. Institute on "The Asian Monsoon System: Prediction of Change and Variability", 2-12 January 2008, East-West Center, Honolulu, USA. [Invited Lecture]
- Kitoh, A., 2008: Impact of climate change on Asian monsoon characteristics. WMO 4th International Workshop on Monsoons (IWM-IV), 20-25 October 2008, Beijing,
- Kitoh,A., M. Hosaka and K. Kamiguchi, 2008: Impact of climate change on precipitation and riverflow. Symposium on Science and Practice of Basin-scale Water Policy for Population Upsurging Asia, National Museum of Emerging Science and Inovation,Tokyo.
- Kitoh, A., 2009: How is the climate of Japan changing and projected to change? ,Japan-British Workshop:Climate modeling and Buisiness risks,British Embasy,Tokyo.
- Kitoh, A., 2009: Climate modeling for adaptation to climate change in Asia. The Third GEOSS Asia-Pacific Symposium, 4-6 February 2009, Kyoto Research Park, Kyoto, Japan.
- Kitoh, A., 2009: Climate modeling activity in Japan. The Third GEOSS Asia-Pacific Symposium, 4-6 February 2009, Kyoto Research Park, Kyoto, Japan.
- Kitoh, A., 2009: Toward seasonal climate forecasting and climate projections in future. Tokyo Climate Conference, Tokyo. [Keynote Lecture]
- Kitoh, A., 2009: Climate change projection for adaptation. Forum for Centennial Strategy for Adapting Climate Change and Reducing Water-related Disaster Risks, 29 September 2009, MITA KAIGISHO, Tokyo. [Keynote Speech]
- Kitoh, A., 2009: Climate change projection for adaptation. National Workshop on Adaptation to Climate Change in the Philippines: Development of Climate Change Scenarios, 19 October 2009, Torre Venezia Hotel, Quezon City, Philippines. [Keynote Speech]
- Kitoh, A., 2009: Climate change projection for adaptation. Local Seminar in Indonesia on the JICA regional training course "Capacity Development for Adaptation to Climate Change in Asia - Climate Change Analysis", 21 October 2009, Shangri-la Hotel, Jakarta, Indonesia. [Keynote Speech]
- Kitoh, A., 2009: Climate change projection for adaptation. JMA Seminar, JAMSTEC, Yokohama.
- Kitoh, A., 2009: Climate modeling activity at MRI. 12th International specialist meeting on the next generation models on climate change and sustainability for advanced high performance computing facilities, 24-26 March 2010, Epochal Tsukuba, Tsukuba.
- Kitoh, A., 2010: Climate change projection for adaptation. Seminar 2: Climate Change Master Plan for Energy Pricing Fluctuation and Food Security, Siam City Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Kusunoki, S., 2010: Future change in precipitation intensity of East Asian summer monsoon. Workshop on Predicting the Climate of the Coming Decades, 12 January 2010, Miami, Florida, USA.
- Kurihara, K., 2008: Research on Regional Climate Projection at MRI. Seminar in KORDI (Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute), Korea.
- Kurihara, K., H. Sasaki, I. Takayabu, K. Murazaki, and T. Uchiyama, 2008: Recent development of Regional Climate Models in MRI. Meeting of Regional Climate Modeling Intercomparison Project (RMIP) for Asia (Phase III). Beijing, China.
- Kurihara, K., 2010: Non-hydrostatic Regional Climate Model in MRI, RMIP (Regional Climate Model Intercomparison Project for East Asia) International Workshop, Tsukuba.
- Murazaki, K., K. Kurihara, H. Sasaki, I. Takayabu, T. Uchiyama, 2007: A Regional climate simulation over Japan nested with JRA-25. Third WCRP International Conference on Reanalysis, Tokyo.